Thursday, March 5, 2009

The dog is making me CRAZY!!!!

We took Cody to the vet yesterday for his big "neuter" procedure. What a L-O-N-G two days it's been here.....

Cody may just be the worst patient ever. When we left the vet, he didn't want to get in the car -- and I'm not too good at hoisting 93 pounds of solid dog into the car. Got him in, and he shed and slobbered all over the inside of the car -- our NEW car (well, new to us!!) What a mess......

The vet told us to give him only minimal amounts of water for the evening, and no food. Cody acted like he was DYING of thirst -- he went to every sink on the first floor and whined at each one. I finally put about 1/4" of water in his bowl, and he inhaled it -- exactly what the vet didn't want him to do! Then he started whining to go outside. I put him on the leash and took him out, thinking he needed to go to the bathroom. No...... he wanted to eat the SNOW!! He would not pee..... So, back inside...... 15 minutes later....... wants outside again........ only to eat snow again....... and repeat this whole scenario 3 more times, and you'll see how frustrated I was now getting -- and he'd only been home 1 1/2 hours.....

Nelson and I have a class we're taking on Wednesday nights. We decided to leave Cody home with our 10 year old keeping an eye on him, since our 22 year old daughter would be home in only 45 minutes, and we thought -- well, what could possibly go wrong in that amount of time????

I no sooner arrived in the parking lot of the class location and my cell phone rang: "Mom, I think Cody pee'd on the carpet -- what should I do?" Sigh...... He hasn't pee'd inside since he was a few months old -- and then he did it again this morning..... ARRRGGGHHHHHH......

He's been out for at least three walks today -- he's going nuts in the house, but the vet doesn't want him running, and that's exactly what he'll do if I put him out in the yard.

I gave him his painkillers -- I hope they worked. Rimadyl?? I guess it takes the edge off the pain, but it sure hasn't slowed him down any. Do you think if I called the vet back, she'd prescribe something to sedate ME??? (I'm thinking Valium sounds awfully good right about now.....!!!)

At least he's not messing with the incision too much. I've caught him two or three times starting to cleaning it, and I'll tell him to stop. He gets this "look" (if dogs could roll their eyes, THAT's the kind of look I'm getting), and then this big, long, exasperated sigh...... and plops his head down on the floor. I swear, he's just being the biggest brat over this whole thing!!!

And the not-so-funny part of all this is -- for once in my life, I didn't do any research on this. Since I do a lot of work with pregnant women, I know all about reproductive systems, birth, methods of birth control and sterilization -- I guess I figured I knew it all!! I honestly did not realize that when they neuter a dog, they actually removed the testicles!!! I just thought the procedure was like a vasectomy for men!! And my husband didn't know, either!! He was HORRIFIED when I brought Cody home from the vet and he saw what had been done!!!

I need to go check up on my impatient "patient". Probably time for another preemptive bathroom run........

Pray for my sanity......

1 comment:

  1. We had our dogs fixed here, and they didn't remove the testicles! I would have been shocked at that, too!

    By the way, did you know we have a dog named Kody? We must be genetically programmed for that dog name. Our dogs sound temperamentally similar, too.

    ReplyDelete