Thursday, July 23, 2009

Anatomy of a wedding cake -- Part 2

I wanted to follow up the previous post with pictures of a different cake. Here's a very elaborate cake I did last year for some dear friends of ours -- Ron and Cathy Sams (who just celebrated their first anniversary -- congratulations!!!) We were able to take a lot of pictures during the baking and decorating process, so this really shows the work that goes into one of these wedding cakes. No wonder the ones from the store are so blasted expensive!!!

~~Some of the layers, glazed to keep in the moistness, and cooling on the kitchen table. The largest circle is also a marble cake, which explains the funny coloring you can see on the side of the cake!


~~Getting a cake nice and level is tricky and is a skill I've never been able to master -- so I CHEAT!! I overfill the pans, let them rise nice and high, cut off the tops, and turn the whole thing upside down, making the flat bottom the nice level top!! Voila!! Pretty cake and lots of leftovers for my family to munch on!


~~This cake was unusual. The bride pretty much turned me loose to create whatever would fit their wedding, so I was free to experiment. This is the first time I'd ever made a cake with small multiple cakes as the base. It was a bit time-consuming, as I had to bake so many small layers -- but I really was pleased with the end result! Here are the layers being arranged for me to double-check size, arrangement, placement, etc., before beginning the icing process.


~~Getting started with the icing, surrounded by all my paraphenalia.


~~A small arrangement of silk flowers my daughter Morgan created to go in between some of the layers of cake. Very pretty!!


~~Doing the flat icing can be a long, tedious, boring process -- and I do look tired here, don't I? Unfortunately, I was nowhere CLOSE to being done at this point!!


~~The bottom layers are now done with the flat icing -- and they still don't look like much, do they??


~~Amazing what some decorating and the addition of color do to a cake!


~~Building upwards!! You can see the arrangement Morgan made is added here.


~~The center section, with another, smaller arrangement that Morgan made.


~~And the final product!! What do you think??


~~Close-up pictures of some of the details!










~~The decorating team!!


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment