Thursday, July 23, 2009

Anatomy of a wedding cake -- part 1

One thing that many people do not know about me is that I used to make a LOT of wedding cakes in the past. I don't make too many nowadays -- life is too busy, my kitchen's rather small, and the whole process is rather time-consuming and messy. However, once in a while, I'm talked out of "retirement" to make a cake for a friend of the family or a relative. Here's the cake -- in progress -- that I baked and decorated yesterday. This is for a very small wedding and the couple didn't want anything too elaborate. What do you think of it?

~~They don't look like much when you are getting started......


.....but a little bit of decorating starts to turn them into something prettier!


~~Then adding the flowers starts to make it really look like a wedding cake!


~~A close-up of some of the detail.....


~~My daughter holding the cake topper to show the effect. The topper and some minor decorations will be added once the church is at the church; the whole thing travels much more safely that way!


I'll have to post a picture of the truly finished product sometime soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment