Monday, April 19, 2010

Exercise and motivation

I've decided the time has come to get serious about my weight.  No health issues yet, thankfully, but I'd like to keep it that way!  I'm just tired of always feeling TIRED!!  So yesterday, I went to the local gym and renewed my membership; I was HOPING to get over there today, but unfortunately, I've got TWO clients whose waters decided to break this AM, so I'm trying to get things done around the house before I get called out to a birth..... sigh...... all these interruptions in my life -- no wonder it's so difficult to exercise and eat well.

Additionally, I was at Best Buy and ran across a really neat gadget that I bought for Mackenzie and I to use.  It's a "game" for the Nintendo DS called "Personal Trainer: Walking".  We set this up today on my Nintendo system, and it looks like it's going to be very helpful and informative.

(No, this is not a paid advertisement!!!)  The two little devices you see on the package above are sensors that you can clip to your belt or pocket, drop in your purse, or whatever.  You can then push the button on the top and "beam" the information to the software in your DS. It will keep track of how many steps you walk each day; graph information so that you can see your periods of activity or inactivity each day; also check active or inactive days of the week; and lots more.  Up to four people can use the same system (you'll need additional monitoring devices, though) and then you can compare your results with others in the family.  They say you can also clip this on your dog's collar and monitor his or her activity throughout the days and weeks as well.  We briefly considered this, but decided the dogs would probably pull them off each other's collars and swallow them -- definitely not a good idea!!

Anyway, it starts with a low target baseline of 3,000 steps per day and will adjust over time, or you can manually adjust it as well.  Mackenzie is so excited, she walked all over the house and then took one of the dogs out for a walk and has already managed to get her 3,000 steps completed in less than 3 hours!! 

Hopefully, this will be a great motivation for both of us to get up and get moving!!  We'll write more about this in a few days or weeks and give our progress report.

____

No comments:

Post a Comment